Friday, July 1, 2011

Harry Potter Book #4


Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Author: J. K. Rowling
Series: Harry Potter #4
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Page Count: 800 Pages
Pub. Date: Paperback, published in 2004 by Raincoast Books, originally published in June 2000 by Bloomsbury in London.
Rating: 4.5/5

When the Quidditch World Cup is disrupted by Voldemort's rampaging supporters and the terrifying Dark Mark is resurrected, it is obvious to Harry that, far from failing, Voldemort is getting stronger. The ultimate symbol to the magic world of the evil Lord's return would be if the one and only survivor of his death curse, Harry Potter, could finally be beaten. So when Harry is entered for the Triwizard Tournament - a competition between three wizarding schools to find the ultimate magician - he knows that rather than win it, he just has to get through the trials alive.


~My Review~

I liked the Goblet of Fire a lot, it kept me riveted, and I was guessing until the end. My issue is the way that the ending played out. I feel like I would have prefered to "see" the why's and who's of the villains in this one, instead of having them laid out in a monologue at the end. I think it would have been better if Harry had figured it out instead of "surprise it was actually me, mwahaha, and this is exactly how I did it!"

I liked the layout of the plot in the Goblet of Fire. The challenges were spread apart nicely throughout the book leaving enough time between them for the subplots to thicken. I feel like it was a bit odd that the Quiddich games would just stop and that the champions wouldn't have exams - just seemed a strange that none of them could multitask. I think that I was having flashbacks of when the teachers went on strike my freshman year - the lack of sports for one year FUBARed the teams for a good three years, and we were known for our athletics dept. before the strike. When I read that they were canceling Quiddich for the year I was thinking "No, you will loose your momentum, and you're wasting a whole year for training the new recruits!"

All that aside, the creepiness was chilling, the humor was engaging, and the adventure was captivating. Another great book in the series.

My Rating: 4.5/5






~ Other books in this series ~
#1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
#2 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
#3 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
#4 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
#5 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
#6 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
#7 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


~ You'll like this series if you liked ~
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins, or Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan


~Links 4 More~
Author Website: here
Add to your Shelfari: here
Add to your Goodreads: here
Buy it at Bookdepository (Free Shipping): here

B.J. Kenney
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

  1. I watched the movie instead of reading this book... I liked the way the story was adopted to movie... but I guess there are a lot of differences between the actual book and the movie version... I think they might have modified those bits you didn't like in the book because I don't seem to remember them in the movie... anyway, I like the story too :)

    ReplyDelete