Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Good the Bad and the Ball

Reading: Swoon & Shiver
Listening to: Flyleaf
Watching: Daybreakers & Book Of Eli
Hoping 4: Working out my ball kinks (LOL that sounds so wrong out of context)

Reading
Two books, one good, one bad…

First the one I didn't like:
Title: Swoon
Author: Nina Milkin
Rating: 1/5

Plot in under 10:
Psychic falls for a ghost who’s an ass, the end.

Full Description:
Sin is coming... Prepare to Swoon. Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut...until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree, and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him—but not at all crazy about the havoc he's wreaking. Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent—and irresistible—adversary, before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him. What do you do when the boy of your dreams is too bad to be true?

I give this book a whopping 1 star. I was not impressed. I’m a girl who always likes to finish a book she’s started, so even after the plot got frustrating I pushed through thinking ‘maybe it will redeem itself’ and I thought that it was going to, started to hope…and then in the last couple pages it crashed and burned. This might be someone else's cup of tea but it certainly isn't mine.

For some other opinions on Swoon check out these reviews:
Down the Rabbit Hole 4/5 Review here
Bibliophilic Book Blog 1/5 Review here


Now on to the good one:

Title: Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Series: Wolves of Mercy Falls: Book 1
Rating: 5/5

Plot in under 10:
Girl gets attacked by werewolves then falls for one.

Description:
For years, Grace has w
atched the wolves in the woods behind her house.
One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without.
Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl.
In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.
Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away.
It's her wolf.
It has to be.
But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay hum
an--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

My Review:

*smiles* I just…I just…LOVED this book. Five stars for sure! I loved Sam and Grace. Most of the time I don’t like one of the mains for some reason or another but I was in love with them both from the start. The characters wooed me, but the story captivated me. Great plot development and killer suspense throughout. I feel like there is so much I could say about about the awesomeness that is Shiver but my mind is a bug mush of happy incoherent thoughts. Seriously if you haven’t read this one, it’s a must.

Listening
Flyleaf:
I’m a little ashamed to admit I found Flyleaf on Rockband. *blushes* but hey I love me some Rockband!

On to the band, they’re chick rock-ish. They’re harder rock but they have an acoustic album of their first CD
that’s a total different and equally awesome sound.

Their new CD (I don’t really like the cover-art BTW) is called Memento Mori and it’s currently on of my favorite albums.









Watching
Again with the one good, one bad.


Daybreakers:

OK so I know some people will disagree with me on this one but I just hated it. And I’m a pretty easy critic when it comes to movies. If it helps my case there were 9 other people with me and 8/9 hated it and someone at the front of the theater was demanding their money
back when the credits rolled.

Why didn’t I like it? Well they had lots of potential with the story and then butchered it with the over the top gore. I’m all for some Kill Bill action but you need to now when to draw the line on the blood and guts…like everyone exploding and the mass eating everyone and ripping them to pieces - in slowmo...just…to…much!







Book Of Eli:
SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!! *deep breath* OK so I thought that Denzel and Mila did an awesome job in this one. Great story, lots of twists and wicked fight sequences. My fav part for those of you have seen it was def the 2nd time he used the bow ☺

WATCH THIS MOVIE! And that’s all I have to say.











Hoping
First my new hope:
My 25th birthday is coming up and to celebrate/distract myself/I really love parties, I’m channeling my inner Alice and throwing a Ball. I’m talking full-out Masquerade Ball. …What I never got a sweet sixteen bash (well not a very good one anyway)

I’m very excided but the venue I wanted is booked ☹ So I’m hoping to either move the date or find another awesome place to throw the party.

Now an update on my past hoping sections:

1) I’m still craving sugar like crazy but passed up 2 candy isles today without cracking. Yay Me!

2) My husband is now halfway through Breaking Dawn…eeexcelent (think Mr. Burns right there) Mmmmm still nothing sexier than my man reading Twilight!

3) No Midnight Sun yet but well I’ll always be hoping for that!


Here's hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment